Friday, August 6, 2010

Pop Punk Crush

When I was in high school I listened to a ton of Something Corporate. Songs like 'I Woke Up in a Car' and 'I Kissed a Drunk Girl' were so fun and yet so soulful - I found them utterly irresistible. And don't even get me started on 'Konstantine,' a near 10-minute ballad I could listen to on repeat for hours at a time without issue (after downloading it on Napster).

I kind of grew out of Something Corporate for a while, though, and only really became reacquainted last summer. Something Corporate had gone on hiatus, I believe, and the lead singer, Andrew McMahon, formed this new band called Jack's Mannequin, which for all I can tell is pretty near identical to SC. Charlie had been playing some Jack's Mannequin in the car and started telling me about McMahon's leukemia diagnosis.

As I listened to more of McMahon's music it clearly hit home in a new way. Sometimes all the sophisticated music I'd developed a taste for just wasn't hacking it, and I'd play 'Holiday from Real' or 'Bruised' and think 'this guy just gets it.' I discovered his blog, which was pretty dated (he got sick in 2005) but still drew me in.

After an extended bout with laryngitis interfered with several of his performances, McMahon went to see his physician and was ultimately diagnosed with acute lymphatic leukemia. On the same day his album Everything in Transit debuted, he underwent a bone marrow transplant. He later wrote a song called 'There, there, Katie' for his sister and bone marrow donor. Heartwrenching.

In 2006 McMahon started the Dear Jack Foundation, an organization with close ties to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Their focus, though, is on the largely overlooked young adult demographic, and proceeds go toward research, counseling, and other resources for the 15-35 year old age group. Check em out: http://www.dearjackfoundation.com/news/

McMahon himself is in his 5th year of remission and let me just say he is a total dreamboat. Last fall a documentary about his treatment and recovery came out - gives me the chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment