Sunday, July 5, 2009

9:55 AM: Subject is Still Funny


My sister Nell has a way of expressing ideas everyone else in the room is thinking in an astute, colorful, and articulate way. The morning after I found out I had Hodgkin's, I made a joke to my parents and Nell turned to them and said, "She's still funny!" The truth is everybody, myself included, knows without a doubt that cancer changes you fundamentally, profoundly, to the point where you're surprised to find that any shred of yourself remains. The Nora/cancer duo is somehow greater than the sum of its parts. Later Alex said cleverly "9:55am: Subject is still funny."

This weekend I felt more like myself than I have in weeks, months. By Thursday I'd emerged from the chemo fog of earlier in the week and was able to enjoy a wonderful 4th of July weekend with amazing friends and family. Today I was even moved to go running (walking)! Nothing restores my spirits like salt air, fires on the beach, cocktail hours, and a good blueberry crisp. Happy 4th of July to all.

1 comment:

  1. 12:24 AM Subject appears to have become cognizant of observation; experiment may be compromised.

    ReplyDelete