
Chemo number four was a doozy. My first mistake might have been leaving the hospital and promptly, inexplicably eating a Big Mac. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but left me nauseous all weekend. The only reprieve was when I was asleep, which was more often than not.
Just as I was coming back to life early in the week, a terrible pain set in around my right wrist, originating at the site of the infusion and radiating up my arm and into my back. I was seeing stars from the intensity of it. It became difficult to open doors, type, or hold a book up to read. By Friday I was taking Diet Cokes from the fridge at work to use as icepacks, and by Saturday the arm was so weak I couldn't squeeze toothpaste onto my toothbrush.
My doctor was completely unfazed, as is his style, and explained that the chemo IV can cause irritation and inflammation of the veins in the arm. He upgraded me from wine and Tylenol to Oxycodone (good times). I'm now sleeping through the night, resting up for treatment five on Thursday.
Bon voyage to all the Googlers headed out to SF this week! Enjoy the sales conference and the rice-a-roni.

No comments:
Post a Comment