Monday, September 28, 2009

Go Nuggets

Deflecting gypsy and pirate jokes ("where's your parrot?") is all par for the course since I've been wearing scarves, but beyond this I've been shooting for a dress code of casual to very casual on chemo weekends. While to the naked eye it may appear that I'm just changing from my pajamas to my other pajamas on these days, a lot of (slightly fuzzy) thought goes into what to wear.

On the day of the infusion itself, I have to be prepared to be cold. The saline solution and chemo drugs are kept refrigerated and immediately chill me once they've entered my bloodstream. At the same time, though, my arms need to be accessible so blood can be drawn and the IV inserted. Sounds like a job for layers.

I've been going to the cape after chemo sessions, and usually I decide not to go the packing route but instead to rely on my trusty cape wardrobe of really, really ugly but so very comfy clothes. Favorites include a pair of lime green and orange plaid flannel pants, a shirt that says 'Sailing is Life', and a 'Girl Scouts of Westchester' celebratory Halloween T that hails from 1983.

I have a chemo sesh scheduled the day before Thanksgiving, and today my mom asked, "will you be able to dress up for Thanksgiving, or will you be wearing your Denver Nuggets sweatshirt and spandex?" Obviously Nuggets.

2 comments:

  1. <3 the Cape uniform. I feel as though there must be some Eastham Superette shirts in the mix as well. As a side note: don't even get me started on your "Sailing is Life" tee. Love and miss. Beyond excited to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tne Nuggets shirt is fine....just accessorize with a smile!

    ReplyDelete