Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lately It Occurs To Me What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been

These last few chemos have left me pretty worn down, so for me, and for my family, next Wednesday's final treatment cannot come soon enough. My veins, my stomach, my soul, have all had enough. My dad has called this a long, strange trip, and while I know it's not over, I'll be content to at least put chemotherapy behind me.

I asked my doctor last week whether, in his opinion, we'd see a cure for cancer in this lifetime. He said "Frankly, no," - with many qualifications. He's said before that cancer is like the United States, and Key West is nothing like Boston. (No one appreciates a good metaphor like my mom, who loves this one). His point is that a few cancers - like Hodgkins, thanks be to God - have cures now, albeit toxic ones, and he hopes to see chemo be replaced by a gentler, more targeted treatment that could somehow kill cancer cells without destroying healthy cells and taking such a severe toll on bone marrow. For other, more lethal cancers, the research my doctors and their colleagues do strives to bring cancer into the ballpark of diabetes or high blood pressure, conditions you live with and don't die from. Other huge strides would include improvements in detection, identifying cancer earlier and differentiating between each individual instance of the disease and then customizing treatment accordingly rather than giving everyone with Hodgkins the same chemo cocktail as they do now.

I can't wait to see these things happen, all these and more. I want this more than I want hair, and I want hair so badly I bought 3 headbands this week.

3 comments:

  1. you're my favorite, nora j! a conversation with you always ends with a smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your entire blog. You are an amazing, wonderful person. I love you.

    ReplyDelete