Sunday, April 18, 2010

Throwin' Haymakers

Today I went to my first ever boxing lesson at my good friend Meghan's gym, The Ring. I made Meghan promise me no one was going to punch me in the face, but then when I arrived I was asked to sign a waiver and list an emergency contact, you know, just in case I got punched in the face. The gym was really cool - there were old boxing matches playing on big screens and a mural of Muhammad Ali, floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee.

I was pretty promptly reminded that I'm a lover, not a fighter, though. I think I really impressed the trainer when I gave the punching bag a big hug. She kept telling me to "hit harder" and giving me tips for when I decided to spar. I really cannot imagine myself ever being in a situation where I will want to fight another person. I'll stick to intimidating from afar.

Meghan is awesome, though, and if she were to come at you with a 1,2,1,2, and then maybe a 4,5, followed by a 3, well..watch out.

2 comments: