Sunday, March 27, 2011

We Build to That

I've generally taken a let's-not-get-carried-away approach to marathon training, so as the mileage on our schedule crept up each week, I couldn't help thinking of Jack Handey saying, "If you ever teach a yodeling class, probably the hardest thing is to keep the students from just trying to yodel right off. You see, we build to that."

Early yesterday morning we ran the first 21 miles of the marathon course, starting in Hopkinton and running with hundreds of others to the top of Heartbreak Hill. Here's how it went down:

Mile 1: Internal monologue about how unfair it is that I had to wake up before the sun was up. This is, without fail, how I spend the first mile of my Saturday morning runs.

Mile 2: Feeling pretty cold. Internal monologue about how it's supposed to be Spring. Man runs by and comments on what a beautiful day it is. I say "Yeah, kind of cold though," and he says "Oh, you'll warm up soon enough!" Some runners just have very positive attitudes. For the record, it was sub-30 degrees.

Mile 4: Trying to keep my fingers from freezing (Nora's got Naud's).

Mile 7: Meg and I are loving the tricked-out water stops - Jelly Beans, Skittles, Munchkins, Pretzel M&Ms, Gatorade, cute puppies, even some spectators with cowbells.

Mile 9: Entering Natick! Glad to see a town name I recognize.

Mile 10: Break out the tunes. These days my go-to jam is Shake It.

Mile 12: Meg says "I wish I knew more expletives." Right on.

Mile 15: Soy lattes. All I can think about is soy lattes.

Mile 17: Turn onto Comm Ave - tweaking out a little about the upcoming hills.

Mile 19: High-five Coach Rick.

Mile 20: Heartbreak Hill taunts me.

Mile 21: Finish! Elated, and in some substantial pain. Oh, but, by all means, let's run another 5 next time.

1 comment:

  1. I know you're gonna do this...it's just who you are.

    ReplyDelete