Thursday, April 14, 2011

'96

As a student of the world, I've cycled through a series of obsessions over the years. These have included but were not limited to: Nancy Drew, whales, rollerblades, vegetarianism, Mormons, Shakespeare, Appalachia, the Lost Generation, and, the summer I was 10, the US Women's Olympic Gymnastic team.

The seven gymnasts had matching bangs and jumpsuits, and two of them were named Dominique. These girls could fly, and I wished I was them every night for 2 weeks, all of them, any of them (except Shannon Miller). I composed letters to Béla Károlyi in my head, hoping he'd agree to take me under his wing.

I was pretty emotionally invested in the events, especially the uneven bars. Seeing the landings, the scores, the stumbles, the parents watching their daughters, it was almost too much sometimes. So, when Kerri Strug headed into her final vault, I think I stopped breathing. Still, now, I can't watch it without getting the chills.

Here's to big dreams, journeys, nervous excitement bordering on terror, and the love and support of family and friends.


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME nora J. awesome. i, too, choreographed floor routines for myself while wishing i could have such awesome bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call my woman! 914-874-4136 I'm here in your town

    ReplyDelete