While Alex and Sam were visiting, I took a day off so we could tour the city a bit. We spent some time at Kilmainham Gaol, a dank, dungeon-like building where political prisoners and criminals were held in the 18th Century. Back then, the jail was dark, dirty, and overcrowded, unless you could afford to pay for a luxury cell, in which case your accommodations were significantly more comfortable. Kids as young as 5 were imprisoned for stealing food or money, especially during the famine years, when many would commit crimes intentionally because they knew in jail they'd be fed. During Ireland's turbulent struggle for independence, many nationalists were executed at Kilmainham.
Who wouldn't need a pint after that? We high-tailed it over to the Guinness Storehouse to lighten the mood. In general, I don't see what the big whoop is with brewery tours. Is it the hops? Is it...no, really can't think of any other reason all those barrels would interest someone. I will concede that the Gravity Bar, at the very top of the Storehouse, had one of the best views of Dublin I've seen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You should think about doing some travel writing!
ReplyDelete